WHO BENEFITS FROM 44,000 EXTRA CAR TRIPS AND CONSTRUCTION TRAFFIC IN RED ROCK ANYWAY?
Dear friends of Red Rock Canyon,
Thank you for your support. I wanted to remind or inform you of 3 Red Rock events:
- Commissioner Susan Brager hosting local constituent meeting, Dec 14
- Red Rock Resolution Ride and Run, Jan 7
- County Commission hearing and vote, Jan 18
Since the last county meeting when the commissioners approved the (concept only) of high density development in Red Rock Canyon, people have been very upset and asking what they can do about it. The developer would like everyone to think that this is a done deal, but that is far from true and there are actually some good opportunities coming up which we believe can turn the tides for Red Rock:
(one in Blue Diamond and two in Las Vegas):
1) Constituent Meeting Dec. 14: Commissioner Susan Brager is hosting a community meeting to hear from her constituents regarding the two waivers that the developer wants to get so he can run his construction traffic through Red Rock and skip a few steps in the process. Save Red Rock says:
- THANK YOU FOR THE CONSTITUENT MEETING!
- NO WAIVERS!
- NO CONSTRUCTION TRAFFIC IN RED ROCK!
- THANK YOU FOR REQUIRING DUE DILIGENCE WITH BLM!
- PLEASE DON’T GIVE IN!
- Blue Diamond Community Center
- 6:00 p.m. (note time change from last email), Wednesday, December 14, 2011
- 9 Village Way, Blue Diamond, NV 89004
- Red Rock t-shirts and bumper stickers for sale
2) EVENT was on the 7th, NOW on the 14th
Las Vegas to Red Rock Biking & Running Event, Jan 14
- RED ROCKIN’ RESOLUTION RIDE & RUN
- Lifetime Athletic Center to Red Rock Canyon and back
- Saturday, January 7, 2012, 10:00 a.m-3:00 p.m.
- Run Distances: 5k and half marathon
- Bike Distances: (beg.) ride to Calico Basin and back, (int.) ride to Blue Diamond Hwy and back
- Finish Line rally party (open to everyone, even if you don’t run or ride) and media event: Rockin’ live bands, resolution party, Red Rock T-shirts, TV/news, lunch ticket for yummy Lifetime Cafe, free schwag bags, indoor/outdoor luxury cabana-style venue, and more!
- Registration opens Friday, December 16, on the Save Red Rock website
3) Clark County Commission Meeting, Jan 18: THE NEXT BIG DECISION: Will Clark County Commissioners back down on their conditions?
- Clark County Commission Chambers
- Wednesday, January 18, 2012
- 9:00 a.m. Government Center
- 555 Grand Central Parkway, Las Vegas, NV 89155
It seems as if the message we all got last time was that the developer won his battle for Red Rock. He may have won that battle, but at a big cost. First of all, it was only a concept; he still does not have a zone change. (To get a zone change, he would have to prove that he deserves special treatment.) Additionally, the developer’s lawyer told the commissioners at the last hearing that in order to get the concept plan passed, he would accept their condition to keep construction traffic off of the scenic byway. Now that he has his concept approved, he wants to renege on that part!
Our message never changes. We stand together and say, NO WAIVERS! Red Rock is not your construction highway! Rural (what you bought) only! High density does not belong in Red Rock! Red Rock is not for sale! Fair Play! You don’t deserve anything more than anybody else!
Sure, Mr. Developer, you can ask for a zone change or anything else you’d like, just like the rest of us can. But just because you or any of us ask, doesn’t mean that it’s appropriate for the Red Rock, or that county commissioners have to make an exception just for you!
At Save Red Rock, after standing strong for so many years, we’re finally starting to see a shift in climate. It’s taking a concerted effort, but together we can turn the tides for Red Rock.
As always, thank you so much for your concern for Red Rock Canyon!
Heather Fisher, Director